Sunday 25 January 2009

Caspian Sea

I saw the Caspian Sea for the first time today. It's almost too much for my brain to grasp that as I'm looking East, I'm actually looking over a big (well, enormous) lake, and it would take two days by boat to reach the other side.

Baku is my base for work the next 6 days, and I feel privileged to be here. There's so much changing - a building site (actually a new skyscraper office block or appartments) on every corner - that I'm sure if I were to come back in a handful of years it might almost be unrecognisable.

And so, I'm thankful to see some of the original buildings still here, before they are demolished to make way for modern erections that could be found in virtually any major city.

However, I can tell you one thing - I've never seen a city that knows how to illuminate its buildings so beautifully at night.

No comments: