Tuesday 13 January 2009

NO2ID

A few bits and pieces today:

(1) I'm on my way to chilly Chicago, and so catching up with emails in the lounge at Heathrow Terminal 5. It's interesting being here today for a couple of reasons: firstly, that the terminal is amazing, and whilst I'm sure the first few weeks really were chaos, I think it's a pity that news programmes and papers can trash a company's reputation in just a few minutes of video, and yet not deem it important or ethical to restore reputation by reporting on the great job done since. Secondly, the newspapers I'm reading are full of titbits on the imminent announcement about a new runway at the airport.

(2) One of the emails my Inbox contains that I'm determined to get to today, is a councillors briefing from the NO2ID campaign. Regular readers of this blog will know that I'm keen to see repeal of various powers contained within the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, that can be overused by local authorities. This briefing note has been forwarded to me by a kind colleague who believes it will be of use to me, as it relates to privacy of personal data, and the prevention of a bigger and bigger state.

{Note: there have been murmurings in the recent news about amendments to this act to prevent its misuse}

(3) Finally, apologies for a few days last week when I didn't get the blog updated quickly. Manic at work, and I simply had to prioritise family when I wasn't in the office.

No comments: