Wednesday 28 May 2008

Gate A19

A19Sat at Heathrow's Terminal 5, enjoying its space, cleanliness, and general calmness, I'm struck at the sight and example of three children playing before me. Two girls, sisters I think, have just invited - without guile, hidden agendas, or contractual obligations - a young boy to join them in a game.

I write this, as I'm simply made happy by the sight of such simple fun and enjoyment. No natual suspicion of someone unknown and unmet. No fear. No ideological separation. No nonsense - just sense.

The world of course, is not this simple and clearly bounded, and not in the main guided by loving watchful parents from their nearby seats, sharing frequent glances with the parents opposite them, all equally enjoying the sight of such playfulness. But, perhaps there's something to be learned from approaching things in a childlike manner.

Perhaps you're thinking "Mike, you're totally overworking this into some pseudo psychological-come-political analogy that simply doesn't work." Or perhaps you're thinking like me, "Wouldn't it be great if I could make friends this easily, and if I fall out with them, make it up as quickly" I'm pretty sure the world would be a nicer place.

No comments: